With the introduction of GDPR and Subject Data Access Requests it has become very important to be able to quickly redact large sets of email contained in PST files.
To do this email redaction on your local network without the need to release confidential data to third parties or transfer data in the cloud you need a tool that can be installed on Windows desktops within your LAN network.
One such tool is Hexamail Flow a great software tool for all versions of windows.
With this software you can redact email in PST files as follows:
- Head over to Hexamail and download the email redaction software
- Install the software, just click Next a lot! (You can cancel the setup when it asks for an email account, we will just import PST files)
- Navigate to the local folder section of the folder tree on the left
- Right click and do Create Subject Access Request folder
- This allows you to enter the contact details of the Subject so that those elements will not be auto-redacted
- Now right click the SAR folder and choose Import… to import the PST file
- Browse for the PST file and choose to import folders as subfolders
- You have now imported the email for redaction
- Click on any email in the list and in the preview you see the content.
- Right click the content and choose Redact to redact the email
- Right click on any attachment and choose Redact to redact the attachment
- You can also right click any email in the list and choose to save redacted as PDF directly. This will auto redact and save to PDF and optionally open any that have not yet been reviewed, to allow you to manually review the email redactions
- In addition to PST file support, Hexamail also support dragging any Office documents or PDF files into the SAR folder, you can then redact those in the same way.
Once redacted, the redacted email or redacted Office documents can be printed or saved to PDF directly for electronic delivery to the subject.
It’s worth noting that Hexamail can import eml files (Thunderbird/Windows Live Mail), MSG files (Outlook), PST files and also directly access email accounts your configure on Gmail, Office365, Amazon Work Mail, IMAP, POP3, Exchange Web Services, and many more types of email account. So you can work directly of live account data too if you prefer.
Overall we found that Hexamail Flow saved us hours of time with email redactions which adds up to real cost savings when performing SAR for GDPR compliance.